Saturday, February 9, 2008

Bass and Cisco are officially stateside!

Yesterday, two of our Los Machos satos (among several other satos) officially flew to New Jersey to be put up for adoption at St. Hubert's Animal Welfare Center. It was a beautiful night. I have no doubt in my mind that Cisco and Bass will be adopted easily. Of course, I will have updates about their adoptions as they happen.

Cisco and Bass, from top to bottom, both in crates next to each other at the San Juan airport, moments away from flying to St. Hubert's Animal Welfare Center in Madison, NJ

On a less happy note, our darlin' Dakota fell quite ill at her foster home. While I was in California, I received a call from Adri (her foster momma) saying that Dakota was depressed, not eating and getting even skinnier than she already was...hard to believe. A week prior to this call from Adri, I did notice during a visit to see her that her spirit was different. I, however, just chalked it up to her being overwhelmed by the male dogs that were also being fostered by Adri or that she was just going through an adjustment period.

As soon as I got back, we took her to the vet and had her hospitalized for 2 nights. Dr. Ramos seems to think she was simply depressed and her immune system failed to keep her healthy. I certainly hope that's the case. I took her to Colin and my apartment yesterday and will hang onto her until her antibiotics are finished and we see some meat on her bones. Poor baby...

Dakota, who took over our cat's bed, has a bony little butt we need to take care of
...she's still as sweet as ever.

While having her here, I'm realizing even more how loving of a dog she is and how wonderful it is to have her off the streets and closer to having a forever home. She's exceptional. In the small amount of time I've spent with this dog, she truly trusts me (it might be that I use a ridiculously annoying baby voice with her all the time). She does this with any person who is nice to her...it's adorable.

Please keep yourselves informed of other sato-related happenings on this island, i.e. the recent decision to carry out the "beach adoption" of Dead Dog Beach in Yabucoa. I am hoping to take a week off from Los Machos rescuing to help out with the efforts to scoop up the remaining satos from Yabucoa. The rumor is that other beaches are in danger of similar actions by local governments. Check out Ginny's (from Manos por Patas) blog entry:

http://www.manosporpatas.org/blog/2008/02/nightmare-continues.html

Shanti

No comments: