Sunday, February 17, 2008

It's a beautiful Sunday...

I just can't get enough of this sweet girl's head.

Amidst all the phone calls and emails regarding Dakota's situation, one specific conversation has saved the day...and Dakota.

That's right...Dakota WILL be going into surgery on Tuesday and, after her recovery, will be sent to St. Hubert's in New Jersey where she will be put up for adoption along with her fellow Los Machos satos, Cisco and Bass. Calling Jackie Fahey of St. Hubert's (let's just refer to her as St. Jackie from here on out) about an hour ago was simply a means to find out what another, though much more experienced, rescuer would think was best for Kota. Taking it that extra step further as she often seems to do, Jackie told me to "send her on up," after recommending to me that the surgery sounded like the right thing to do.

I have, over the last day and half, had a dozen conversations with vet techs (one being a best friend of mine in Chicago...Thanks, Kasia!) and vets I have known in the past about Dakota's prospective surgery and got mixed reviews, making my head spin with uncertainty. Now, with assurance that she will end up in a home that understands her special needs, the answer is crystal clear. Also, speaking to other animal rescuers was key...dogs have come out of far worse, as the stories go, as will Dakota. So, it's on...risky or not. She's about as worth it as they come.

Our work is not finished quite yet though, my friends. We still need half of the money for Dakota's surgery and hospitalization fees, totaling around $1000. For those of you who have helped so generously already, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. However, please continue to pass the story along and help this gorgeous creature get everything she needs.

Thank you for your support through this. Keep your fingers crossed and/or say your prayers that the surgery goes smoothly. Dakota's getting another chance...it's a great day! I visited her at the vet's office yesterday, and she nearly knocked over her kennel with her overly exaggerated tail wagging when she saw me. So I think it's safe to say her spirits are up...she's ready for this.

I am ready for a nap!
Shanti

p.s. Check out our new "Adopt a Los Machos Sato" YouTube Video, which I made last night in honor of Dakota.




No comments: