Wednesday, February 20, 2008

And one became two

Heartworm, hookworm, whipworm positive, but still extremely adoptable, Chalupa needs a sponsor.

First of all, still no news on Dakota (I know, it's killing me, too). I called Dr. QuiƱones earlier, and she had not yet been able to perform the surgery...the waiting game continues.

As for the "Rocco Rescue Mission" this morning, I went to Los Machos and at first
he was nowhere to be found. Yes, there was a bit of panic in my heart. My friend (Astra, new ADLA volunteer) and I searched the usual sato-concentrated areas around Los Machos for close to an hour before he and his partner in crime, Chalupa, trotted over. And then I had a moment. I couldn't just take Rocco, scared that Chalupa might not do as well livin' the street life without her sidekick. And then they teamed up against me. Rocco and Chalupa simultaneously jumped into the back seat of my car, I called around to find out if there was room to board/foster her, figured out some details and that was that. Rocco and Chalupa went for a ride with us to San Juan.

Rocco and Chalupa are currently safe at Dr. Ramos'. They both received their initial shots. The bad news, however, is that Chalupa did end up having heartworm, as well as hookwork, whipworm and mange. Dr. Ramos is running blood tests and will find out how developed her heartworm case is...should be fine though. Dogs can definitely be treated for heartworm, though it's a bit costly. I am, obviously, looking for a sponsor for Chalupa. Please let me know if you are interested in helping her out. Luckily, Dr. Ramos is an angel and is willing to let me keep a tab.

Rocco will be heading to New Jersey, to his forever home, with a week or two. We'll keep you updated on Chalupa and Dakota's progress.

Shanti

1 comment:

amber, theambershow said...

i'm glad you didn't leave one without the other!